Sunday, December 1, 2013

Winter Project Update (Post-dated from 19 Nov 2013)


Ongoing research . . . . I've found two George Mathews in the 1850 federal census in Ohio. Both individuals are about the age he would have been (26). However, since I don't know the names of his siblings or parents, there is no way (at this time) exclude either.

Ohio was where George came into the world, Kansas was where he left it. So I've looked for him in Kansas as well. He was married to my GGG grandmother near Trading Post, Kansas about 1855 and volunteered for the Union Army in January 1862. It is reasonable to expect that he would be in the 1860 census in Kansas, but neither he, nor his wife or child can be found. Crud.

Here is the last documented evidence of old George. His enlistment into the Union Army (see line 84) . . . as documented by the Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Kansas, Volume I,, 1861-1865. To be continued . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment